The following are my 10 Principles of Common Sense Project Management, Vol. 01 ...
1. The process of Project Management is basically the same on EVERY project; it is the intangibles that make the difference in the success of the project.
2. LEADERSHIP is not synonymous with Project Management.
3. CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING is essential to Project Management. The SIMPLEST answers are usually the best one.
4. If you are not part of the SOLUTION, then you are part of the PROBLEM.
5. Bad news is not like an expensive bottle of wine; it DOES NOT get better with age.
6. Communication should never be MANAGED from stakeholder to stakeholder.
7. Of all of the project constraints … TIME controls the Cost, Quality, SOW (Statement of Work) and Customer Satisfaction.
8. It is better for your project, if the TECHNICAL EXPERT is not the Project Manager.
9. Your TEAM is the most important resource you have on a project.
10. Documented Lessons Learned are MANDATORY after the closure of a Project.
Common Sense is not common; otherwise more people would have it !!
Copyright © 2009, A. Sloan Campbell, MBA, PMP, P.Mgr, F.CIM